Health and Safety Policy
In The RiverBank School we strive to provide every child of the school with excellent and wholesome education through a very comfortable, safe and stimulating environment. Every child of The RiverBank School have a right to feel safe and comfortable in and out of the school. Our school therefore, will strive to ensure that the children in our care are healthy, safe and enjoy emotional well-being.
- Teachers shall take every opportunity to educate children about the danger of fire and other hazards.
- Occasional fire drill shall be done to keep children alert and prepare them on how to manage fire incident (in case of any).
- Procedures for fire and other emergency evacuation are displayed in all offices and around the school.
- Fire Prevention equipment shall be inspected regularly.
- All visitors to the school shall sign the visitors’ book at the security post and do same when leaving.
- Visitors shall be given the Child protection leaflet to read as they come into the school.
- Visitors shall wear the identification badge while within the school premises.
- No visitor shall enter any classroom or office without the identification badge.
- If any visitor poses potential threat to the safety of children and staff, the security officials shall that the individual leaves the school immediately.
- Rest rooms shall be kept absolutely clean at all times
- All children shall wear the school uniform when attending school and whenever they go on school trips to aid for easy identification.
- Children shall not wear jewellery to school.
- Teachers shall ensure that no child is subject to abuse of any kind.
- Risk assessments shall be carried out for all school activities and trips.
- Parents shall sign their children’s consent forms before they go for any trip.
- Certified first-aiders shall accompany the children during excursions.
- The required adult to pupil ratio shall be strictly observed during excursions.
- If a child has a medical issue or condition, parents must duly inform the school authority and hand the medication to the school matron who shall administer it at the appropriate time.
- Children shall surf the internet only under adult supervision.
- Parents shall formally consent to their children using the internet in school.
- The school shall seek parental permission before using photographs or works of their children on the school’s website or publications.
- The disciplinary committee shall investigate any incidents of theft involving children.
- If there are serious incidents of theft in the school, the school will inform the police immediately.
- If a member of staff is experiencing undue stress at work, he/she shall inform the head teacher without delay.
- The school has zero-tolerance for violence, threatening behaviour or abuse directed against school staff. If such incidents do occur, the school will deal with it as seriously as possible, and in the interest of the staff involved.
- If there is a serious incident involving physical violence against a teacher, the school will take steps to support the teacher in question by informing the police if he/she wishes.
- The Head of Administration alongside the facility officers shall be responsible for health and safety matters.
- The Head of Administration shall keep the management informed of new regulations regarding health and safety, and to ensure that the school regularly reviews its procedures with regard to health and safety matters.
- The school management shall carry out regular risk assessments and health and safety surveys, with the objective of keeping the school environment safe.
- This policy will be reviewed annually or whenever the need arises.